Rail budget for year 2015-16 proposed today by our Rail Minister Suresh Prabhu at Indian Parliament. Here are some highlights:
Good things about budget:
- No increase in passenger fares.
- 17000 more toilets to be replaced by bio-toilets.
- .Modern facilities for disabled citizens, senior citizens, patients through IRCTC.
- 67% more funds allotted for passenger amenities.
- In 400 stations wi-fi facility will be provided.
- Advance reservation period increased to 120 days.
- Speed of specific trains will be increased to 160 and 200 kmph.
- You can now book your rail meal from a food chain online.
- WiFi will be provided at all B category stations.
Proposed Plans in forth coming financial year:
- Operation 5 minutes to ensure that a passenger travelling unreserved can purchase a ticket within 5 minutes.
- Increase number of mechanised laundry, an All India 24-7 helpline number 138; and a toll free 182 for security will become operational soon.
- SMS alert services for passengers to inform them about arrival and departure of trains.
- 24 to 26 coaches in certain identified trains, more general class coaches, ladders to be replaced.
- Train sets saving 20% journey time, similar to bullet trains to be introduced.
- Satellite railway terminals in 10 major select stations.
- For safety of women, cameras will be provided in selected mainline coaches and ladies compartments.
- Coastal connectivity programme will be launched this year.
- Railway to move to paperless ticketing, to introduce hand held device for TTEs.
Things that were missed:
- No new trains were announced.
- Freight Rates to be increased.
All in all budget is nicely anticipated looking forward for plans to get in work.